Every business owner before designing a website or online store should think about choosing its name and domain name. It is very important to do it correctly. A domain name is not just an address that identifies you on the Internet.
If the domain describes the subject of the resource, it is very good for both visitors and search engines.
If you choose from ready-made samples, the presence of similar domains on the Internet will lead users to a dead end.
Determine the purpose of the site in advance. The name or surname of the owner is best for a personal page or blog.
Examples of domain names for personal sites
TIPS FOR CHOOSING A DOMAIN FOR AN ONLINE STORE
- If you trade in specialized products, indicate the name of the product/service in the address (for example, foodprops.ng).
- A brand or company name can be a domain name. This principle is suitable for large companies that sell a variety of goods and need to find them on brand requests (for example, Samsung.ng).
- The domain can match the query on which the promotion will take place. For example, “smoothie recipes” – foodnetwork.com. Thus, on this request, the site will be in one of the first positions.
RULES FOR CHOOSING AN EFFECTIVE DOMAIN NAME
- The domain name should be easy to remember and “sound”.
- Use the correct transliteration to convert characters to other languages.
- Domain length can be 2-64 characters.
- The domain name can contain letters, numbers, the symbol “-“.
- Decide on the domain zone (international: .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz; Ukrainian: .ua, .com.ua, .region.ua, Nigerian: .ng. .com.ng, .clothing ,etc.). You can learn more about all domain zones and their cost on specialized sites for domain name registration and hosting services.
- If the selected domain name is already taken, you need to check it in another domain zone (for example, .org, .net, .biz). If you need the exact domain which is already occupied, you can always agree to buy it. It all depends on your payment capabilities.
- If possible, register similar domain names in different versions of transliteration and domain zones (for example, you have primer.ng – register and prymer.ng, and primer.com.ng, and primer.com). Thus, it will be possible to configure a redirect to the main domain/specific partition or to use different names for different types of advertising, certain types of products.
- Do not forget about geo-binding – choose addresses in the geolocation zone of your business.
- Usually the domain address is paid for 1 year, but if you are planning a long-term activity and want to get in the TOP search results, you need to pay for several years in advance. Search engines trust long-paid domains with confidence.
- Avoid long domain names (more than 3 words), they are poorly perceived and not remembered (for example, toyotalandcruiserprado.com).
Lastly, it is important to note that when choosing a domain name, make sure that it does not infringe on the copyrights of others.
INFLUENCE OF A DOMAIN NAME ON SITE PROMOTION
If you plan to promote the site on certain queries, it is important to immediately choose a name that will ensure the flow of traffic to the site. You can find a domain name that was recently released and has a solid age, high traffic, and other Seo-factors.
To do this, you need to use special services and invest a certain amount of money. However, if you choose successfully, it will pay off quickly. If you choose a name with a key query – it will raise you even higher to the TOP search results.
So, you have read the article and already have an idea on how to choose the right domain name. In the future, this will help in promoting your site, because the ultimate goal of any business is to make a profit. Or you can contact us at Silahub Web Studio and we will help you choose the most effective domain!