Abandoned basket is not a very favorable indicator in the work of any online store. This means that the user did not just leave the site without taking any targeted action, but chose a specific product and did not complete the purchase.
Statistics show that 70% of users leave the cart without completing the purchase.
If this percentage is higher – you lose a significant portion of profits! Therefore it is necessary to understand what the problem is.
THE MAIN REASONS FOR “ABANDONED” BASKETS
It is difficult to name all the reasons for not completing the purchase process. But you can identify and eliminate the most common:
- Unable to make a purchase without prior registration: This is the most popular reason why users leave the cart. They are especially annoyed by the need to fill a huge list of unnecessary data. We recommend simplifying the order form to several fields: username and contact information (phone number or e-mail).
- Distrust of the site: Many buyers doubt the security of the purchase (storage of personal data, money transfer, etc.). Distrust of the site is usually caused by:
- little known (you need to promote the brand itself);
- lack of positive feedback (motivate customers to leave feedback on the site);
- bad design;
- errors in the texts;
- the presence of “broken” links;
- lack of information about the owner of the online store (write detailed contact information);
- lack of guarantees and the possibility of return.
Find out more on building site credibility in this article.
- Only one way to pay for the purchase: Few people want to buy expensive goods online on a full prepayment. It is very good when you offer the possibility of payment for goods postpaid. It also does not prevent the ability to pay using payment systems.
ALSO READ: How to open your online store from scratch ( step-by-step instructions )
- Low level of site usability: The convenience of the user on the site affects whether he wants to continue to be there and make purchases. This requires:
- increase page loading speed;
- make navigation intuitive;
- adapt the site to all devices and browsers (mobile adaptation and cross-browser);
- remove distractions, images, links, etc. from the pages.
- Malfunction of the basket: Basically it’s the –
- inability to delete the number of goods;
- inability to edit the entered data;
- incorrect display of the contents of the basket.
Be sure to periodically test the performance of the cart to prevent such errors.
- A long and complicated process of making a purchase: If you need to fill in many fields to purchase and they are all required, it annoys users. You need to break the ordering process into several stages.
- The emergence of additional costs: This is the cost of delivery, commission, taxes, etc. Of course, if the user saw the best price in the product card, and then when placing an order there were completely different numbers – he will feel cheated. Be honest with your customers – indicate the final price in the product cards (indicating additional costs).
- No delivery time: The best option is to indicate the delivery time in the product card next to the prices.
- Lack of online help when choosing a product: The lack of opportunity to ask questions at the time of the purchase decision provokes the transfer of a potential customer to other sites. It is also good when the site has a FAQ section because some users find it easier to find the answer to the questions they are interested in.
- Initial lack of desire to buy: This is the most difficult and unpredictable factor when working with abandoned baskets. There is nothing you can do about such users. The only thing you can do is offer them a discount on the product.
HOW ELSE CAN YOU WORK WITH ABANDONED BASKETS?
In 20-40% of cases, buyers who have left the cart can be persuaded to complete the purchase process.
We recommend using an email newsletter with a mention of not completing the purchase ( email retargeting ). And you can offer personal discounts on certain products.
WHAT TO DO IF THE PROBLEM OF AN ABANDONED BASKET DOES NOT DISAPPEAR?
It is impossible to completely eliminate the causes of abandoned baskets, because there will always be users who:
- just got acquainted with the range of goods
- found a better offer
- distracted from the purchase and forgot
- just compared prices
- looking for gift ideas
So you just have to accept that not all your visitors can become buyers!
If you need help or site promotion – contact us at Silahub technologies!